- Sketch for UX Designs
- ReasonML, Flow, TypeScript
- Grid, Flexbox
- Stylus (Preferred over SCSS, Sass)
- Styled Components
- CSS3 Animations & Transitions
- React Native
- D3 Data Visualizations & Animations
- SVG Animations
- Flux, Redux, MobX
- Node, Express, APIs, Hapi, Commander, Mime
- E2E Testing : Cypress
- Unit Testing : Jest & Enzyme
- Storybook UI
- I have sort of shelved Vue and Nuxt for now to focus on React and GraphQL but I'd be happy to hear about opportunities with Vue.
I enjoy taking responsibility for reading between the lines of UX designs, accessibility, and project requirements and I strive for perfection in the work that I turn in. I am experienced in what a front-end developer needs to know to work well with back-end engineers and UX designers. Continually expanding my skills to include more back-end capabilities. I wake up early, stay up late, and I take pride in a job well done. I like work. And hard work is the most rewarding kind of work. My favorite thing to do on evenings and weekends is code and learn new things about coding.
In addition to the technical skills presented in this resume below, I'd like to first highlight some intangible skills that I find very important.
- Attitude - I believe we all make a choice every morning.
- Energy - Similar to attitude, it's a choice and you can create it with the right mental attitude. I do a lot of cardio and running to keep my mind sharp. I believe work/life balance is my responsibility, not my company. I am efficient and selective with my time and like to show up consistently well prepared to work.
- Code Quality - I genuinely care about code quality and it is a factor in how I choose projects/employment. "Inexpensive" developers writing problematic code costs more than "expensive" developers writing quality code in the long run and can cause failures in an application. We should write code that functions and is also readable and quickly reasoned about by others on the team. I enjoy helping others during code reviews, and equally enjoy learning from others when my code is reviewed.
- Automation - We are using powerful computer machines after all. We might as well automate as much as possible. I automate everything I can. Anything I do repeatedly becomes a custom keystroke shortcut, command line alias, or a text editor snippet. I have some daily tasks automated using action scripts on Mac OS.
- Test First Mindset - Good testing is important because some users never forget a bad experience. And TDD just helps us write much better and more reliable code. It's much easier to reason about someone else's code when there are tests.
- Ability to Explain Things - I come from a background in copywriting, marketing, teaching, and then design so I have the ability to communicate well and extrovert myself. Part of the job is writing code. The other part is asking questions, relating ideas, and explaining my code to co-workers. I seek continual education in many areas in my pursuit of excellence in software design.
Currently working for Nike as an UX Engineer / Senior Software Engineer.
Mentor on Codementor
Experience with start-ups all the way up to Fortune 100 companies.
Exposure to PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL, MongoDB, Heroku, Docker, Go, and Python but these are not my highest level skills. I'm just scratching the surface of back-end programming.
Expertise in front-end UI development.
Ever-learning UX designer with experience in responsive design, mobile UX design, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InDesign, Axure, and well versed in CSS3, HTML5, Sass, Animations & Transitions, Grid, Flexbox, and Stylus.
Veteran UX thinker, researcher, and designer with over 12 years of hands on experience. Expertise in the areas of online commerce and Internet marketing.
Has worked at small start-ups with less than 5 developers as well as large Fortune 100 companies with 10,000+ employees.
Very hard worker who knows the importance of customer service, teamwork, attitude, energy, and personality.
To discuss an opportunity click here to email me.
- BS Neuroscience - Baylor University 2001 - 2005
- Elective courses in Computer Science, Data Structures, Algorithms, and HCI (Human Computer Interaction)
What I Do Best...
My strengths are UX and front-end architecture with modern React apps.
Over the past few years I've been really enjoying React, Next.js, Prisma, GraphQL, Jest, yarn + npm, Webpack, Babel, ESLint, Prettier, AWS, Flow, TypeScript, CSS Grid and Flexbox, D3, and SVG animations.
I use CSS3 including animations, styled components, and advanced Stylus (or Sass). It is my preference to create or contribute to an organized company styleguide with re-usable components and grids. I am familiar with CSSnext, Glamorous, Emotion, CSS Modules, PostCSS, Atomic CSS (ACSS), OOCSS, SMACSS, and BEM.
My passion is building responsive web applications with clean modular organization and componentized reusable code. In addition to a solid build, I use advanced tooling and automation, ensure the best possible user experience, and re-iterate until the design is pixel perfect, the experience is smooth, and web performance is optimized.
The topics of team productivity, style-guides, code review, testing, innovation, user experience, accessibility, and documentation are important to me.
I have worked quite a bit on the front-end of apps using AWS and Docker on the back-end. I have experience architecting React apps with server-side rendering (SSR) in Node.js and also Next.js. I have some experience making server-less React apps using Firebase and AWS.
I do have experience building modern web applications NOT just websites.
My Favorite Books
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides
- Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS by Jonathan Snook
- CSS Secrets: Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems by Lea Verou
- CSS Animations and Transitions for the Modern Web by Steven Bradley
- Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability by Steve Krug
- You Don't Know JS (Book Series) by Kyle Simpson
- Curiosity - I often spend my free time figuring out better ways to do things, researching, experimenting, and asking others how they would code a particular solution.
- Grit - I understand that some problems will require hours, days, or even weeks to solve and I have the resolve to finish any challenge I begin.
- Communication - I'm very good at keeping my team updated, asking when I need help, helping when others need it, and overall I consider myself an excellent communicator.
- Attention to Detail - I have an eye for detail. I'm very proud of my code. In a realm where one character or a single line of code can break an entire application, I like to code elegantly with haste but always a careful eye and thorough review.
- Adaptability - If we all attempted to solve a coding problem in the same way, we may arrive at the same solution together. Sometimes lateral thinking is what drives breakthroughs.
- Modesty - I embrace feedback on my code. In fact, I enjoy it and see it as an opportunity to become better.
- Teamwork - A good application is built by a team of great minds, not by a single person. I very much enjoy contributing all that I can, and appreciate what I cannot that must be done by others.
Computer Science / Full-Stack Development
- Introduction to Data Structures for Interviews : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Bianca Gandolfo from Bitovi
- Four Semesters of Computer Science in 5 Hours : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Brian Holt from LinkedIn
- Four Semesters of Computer Science in 5 Hours, Part 2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Brian Holt from LinkedIn
- Full Stack for Front-Ends Part 2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jem Young from Netflix
- Full Stack for Front End Engineers : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jem Young from Netflix
- Full Stack for Front End Engineers Part 2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jem Young from Netflix
React / Next.js / SSR / Redux/MobX / React Native / GraphQL / AWS / Firebase
- Rapid Development on AWS: React, Node.js & GraphQL : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Steve Kinney from Turing School / Twilio Sendgrid
- AWS for Front-End Engineers (ft. S3, Cloudfront & Route 53) : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Steve Kinney from Turing School / Twilio Sendgrid
- Wes Bos - Advanced React : React, Next.js, Styled Components, Apollo, GraphQL, Prisma
- Wes Bos - React
- Wes Bos - Redux
- Complete Intro to React v4 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Brian Holt from LinkedIn
- Intermediate React : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Brian Holt from LinkedIn
- Advanced React Patterns : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Kent C Dodds from PayPal
- Complete Intro to React (feat. Redux, Router, & Flow) : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Brian Holt from LinkedIn
- React Fundamentals with Tyler McGinnis
- Redux + Immutable.js with Tyler McGinnis
- Universal React (Server-Side React + SEO in React) with Tyler McGinnis
- React Router with Tyler McGinnis
- Reacttraining.com : Advanced React with Ryan Florence - Co-author of React Router
- Advanced State Management in React (feat. Redux and MobX) : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Steve Kinney from Turing School / Twilio Sendgrid
- Firebase + React: Real-time, Serverless Web Apps : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Steve Kinney from Turing School / Twilio Sendgrid
- Serverless with AWS Lambda : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- React Native (feat. Redux) : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- React Native with Tyler McGinnis
- Introduction to GraphQL : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- Advanced GraphQL : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- TypeScript 3 Fundamentals, v2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Mike North from LinkedIn
Vue.js / Nuxt / Vuex
- Vue Conf 2017 in Wrocław, Poland - The first Official Vue.js Conference in the world!
- Introduction to Vue.js : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Sarah Drasner from Microsoft
- Vue.js Advanced Features from the Ground Up : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Evan You creator of Vue.js
- Wes Bos - ES6
- ES6: The Right Parts : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Kyle Simpson from You Don't Know JS
Node.js / Express / Hapi.js
- Introduction to Node.js : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- Wes Bos - Node.js
- Thinkful - Node.js Course with 1on1 Mentorship
- Real-Time Web with Node.js : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Kyle Simpson from You Don't Know JS
- Code Robust APIs with the Hapi.js Server Framework for Node.js : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Ryan Chenkie from Auth0
- Zero to Production Node.js on Amazon Web Services : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Kevin Whinnery from Twilio
- API Design in Node.js (using Express and Mongo) : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Scott Moss (This dude was a Navy SEAL before becoming a developer!) from CEO and founder of OneSpeed
- Secure Authentication for Web Apps & APIs Using JWTs - Front-end Masters with Ryan Chenkie from Auth0
CSS / D3.js / SVG / Animation
- Wes Bos - CSS Flexbox
- Wes Bos - CSS Grid
- Advanced SVG Animation : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Sarah Drasner from Microsoft
- Sass Fundamentals : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Mike North from LinkedIn
- CSS Grids and Flexbox in Responsive Web Design : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jen Kramer from Harvard
- Introduction to Data Visualization with D3.js v4 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Shirley Wu from Data Sketches
- Data Visualization for React Developers : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Shirley Wu from Data Sketches
- Building Custom Data Visualizations : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Shirley Wu from Data Sketches
- CSS In-Depth, v2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Estelle Weyl from HTML & CSS in the Real World
- Motion Design with CSS : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Rachel Nabors an Award Winning Cartoonist
UX Design, UX Research, and Graphic Design
- Thinkful - UX Design Course with 1on1 Mentorship
- Designlab Course : Design 101
- Designlab Course : UI Design
- Designlab Course : Branding
- Designlab Course : Typography
- Designlab Course : UX Research & Strategy
- Designlab Course : Interaction Design
- Mastering Chrome Developer Tools v2 : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jon Kuperman from Adobe
- Git In-depth : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Nina Zakharenko from Venmo
Fundamentals of Responsive Web Development
- Testing and Modular Front-End : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with James Halliday from Substack
- Mastering Chrome Developer Tools : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Jon Kuperman from Brave
- Website Performance : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Kyle Simpson from You Don't Know JS
- Thinkful - Front-End Web Development Course with 1on1 Mentorship
- Introduction to Web Development : Live Workshop - Front-end Masters with Nina Zakharenko from Venmo
- Online Courses - Egghead.io, Front-end Masters, CodeSchool, Team Treehouse, Codecademy
- Thinkful Workshops - React, Python, Gulp, Git, SQL, PostgreSQL
- Public Speaking Courses
- Non-violent Communications Seminar based on the book by Marshall Rosenberg
- Creative Writing Studies - University of Minnesota
- The Groundlings Improv School in Los Angeles, CA
- Howard Fine Acting Studio in Los Angeles, CA
- Brave New Workshop Improv School in Minneapolis, MN
- Email me for access to a GitHub repo with the most recent React + Firebase app I built for a Boston start-up as the Front-end Architect.
- www.nike.com (web application)
- www.nike.com/snkrs (web application)
- www.vidy.com (web application) Lead Front-end React Developer
- www.clmi-training.com (web site)
- www.leumengineering.com (web site)
- www.sedgwickheating.com (web site)
UX Engineer / Senior Software Engineer - Current Position
Nike - Portland, OR
May 2015 - Present
I work on the small UX Engineering team. Across our team we use Stylus, React, Next.js, Webpack, Redux, HTML5, CSS3, Node.js, Git, etc. My team works across UX development and front-end engineering on www.nike.com and www.nike.com/snkrs.
"As a front-end developer, James was always eager to take on challenging problems and find creative solutions to them. He is a great collaborator and teammate, and I would love to work with him again."
Katie Boyd - Senior Web Developer at Nike
"I worked with James Coury when I was at Nike as an intern and he was a lead web developer on the SNKRS web team. During my ten weeks at Nike, no one took me under their wing and showed me the ropes like James did. He's a detail oriented programmer that is very passionate about writing good code. He studies avidly to keep up with the constant changes happening in the industry and is always striving to better himself whether it be physically or mentally. He has a great work life balance and he is someone I personally admire a great deal. I would love to get a chance to work with him again in some capacity."
Aidan O'Malley - Web Developer at Nike
My start-up contract experience is below.
Front-end Architect for a Start-up Company
Spotlight Parking - Boston, MA
I built a React + D3.js + Firebase app for a start-up and I was the first front-end hire to architect the front-end, build out Webpack, Babel, ESLint, etc. I worked directly with the CTO from the first line of code all the way to production.
Other Start-up Experience
- Lead Front-end Engineer (first front-end hire) for React + Redux + SSR social media application with Java + AWS + Docker on the back-end
- Front-end Engineer (second front-end hire) for a React + D3.js + MobX + TypeScript insurance data visualization application with Java on the back-end.
- Front-end Architect for a Vue.js file management machine learning application with Python + Docker on the back-end.
- Lead Front-end Engineer in charge of overseeing migration to AngularJS for an eCommerce application with Java / Node.js + SQL / SQLite on the back-end.
Front-end Web Developer / Software Engineering Skills
- CSS3 HTML5 / Responsive Web Design (Expert 10+ Years)
- Styled Components, Emotion, Glamorous, cssnext, PostCSS, CSS Modules
- Stylus / Sass / SCSS / Less (Expert 6+ Years)
- Flexbox / CSS Grid
- SVGs / pure SVG animation
- Local Storage, Session Storage, Caching, History, pushState
- HTML5 Storage API, HTML5 Canvas API, HTML5 Video API
- Able to teach new developers and lead others on the team
- Rx.js / Asequence
- CSP / Channels
- ES5, ES6 (ES2015), ES8, ESM, ES.next
- Frameworks / Libraries
- D3.js data visualization
- Flux / Redux / MobX
- JSON, Ajax
- Consuming RESTful services, HTTP
- Designing RESTful APIs with Node.js
- DOM Manipulation
- MVC, MVVM Frameworks
- _LoDash / Underscore
- Build / Tools / Testing
- Apollo GraphQL
- npm + Yarn
- Jest / Enzyme / Istanbul / Jasmine / Mocha
- Unit testing / E2E testing / Cypress
- Node.js (Intermediate)
- Hapi.js (Intermediate)
- Firebase (Intermediate)
- Express (Intermediate)
- Docker (Beginner)
- AWS (Beginner)
- Git and Github Version Control (Advanced 6+ Years)
- APIs (Advanced 2+ Years)
- Twitter Bootstrap (Expert 3+ Years)
- UX Design / UI Development / Usability (Expert 12+ Years)
- Axure Wireframe Software (Expert 4+ years)
- Adobe Photoshop For Web Design (Expert 8+ Years)
- Adobe Illustrator & InDesign (Intermediate 2+ Years)
- Usability Testing, Prototyping, Information Architecture (Expert 12+ Years)
Related Internet Marketing Skills
Just before I became a UX designer and web developer I was an online marketer. I created an online marketing campaign that generated over 5 million dollars in sales. I did all of the copywriting, ads, landing pages, and email software automation.
- SEO - Search Engine Optimization (Expert 10+ Years)
- Google AdWords and Analytics (Expert 10+ Years)
- Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, & Social Media Marketing (Expert)
- Content Copywriting & Email Marketing (Expert 10+ Years)
- Increased Conversion Rates With Analytics & Split Testing (Expert 8+ Years)
- Landing Page Optimization (Expert 8+ Years)
- ClickFunnels, Kajabi, SamCart, Infusionsoft, 1ShoppingCart, Aweber, MailChimp (Expert 7+ Years)
Accomplishments and Interesting Personal Facts
- Typing speed of 100+ words per minute
- Ultra-marathon runner
- Fluent in written and oral Spanish
- Speaks bits of Albanian and French
- Scored genius on the Mensa IQ test
- College Dean's List
- Who's Who Among American HS Students
- Published scientific study on facial recognition
- Enjoy playing Texas Hold'em, foosball, and indie video games
- Junior PGA golfer
- Really enjoy calisthenics
- Martial artist competitive in kickboxing, MMA, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Spent time on teams at gyms with UFC and Bellator fighters including Conor McGregor, James Gallagher, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Chieck Congo, etc.
- Enjoy Vlogging, film making, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Lightroom, photography in my free time.
Click to request an interview
Thank you for your time!
HCI Human Computer Interaction, Information Architecture, UI Designer, Web Developer, UX Researcher, Software Engineer, Sr Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Lead, Lead UX, Lead Front-end, Lead React, Lead Frontend, Fullstack, Full-stack, Frontend, Front-end, Angular, Vue, Vue.js, React, Node, Node.js, Graphql, Axure, Accessibility A11Y, Senior UX Architect, ES5, ES6, ES8, ES2015, ES2016, ES2017, ES2018, ES2019, ES2020, ECMAScript, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
↑ top of page ↑